Every now and then, I need retail therapy. I'm not your average shopping-babe. To be honest, in college I bought way too much uselessness and rounds of drinks on my credit card and scared myself pretty good-- for much less than the national average. It was enough to make me think long & hard about shopping for myself; I anything I buy now has to be on a mental shopping list, has to have a planned day to go buy it, has to be on sale/couponed/discounted, and, more comfortably, to be actually useable or giftable. That being said, I'm not that mental about shopping-- I keep all that wacky stuff in my head.
Soooooo......
After a planned trip to Hallmark, then retrieving my repaired sewing machine, I stopped at a new thrift store on my route home. The Saving Way. I've passed it time & time again, but never stopped. They now have additional stores in town and I've seen some churches advertise that they are donation-drop-off locations. I've heard buzz from other thrifters, so I decided to stop in. This location on Winchester Road is their "flagship".
I was impressed: spacious, well lit, friendly people, assortment of merchandise/clothes that were clean & easily accessed, prices in keeping with other thrift stores and easy to read, daily specials. I am also impressed that it supports a local, worthwhile project-- His Way-- so my money goes to good use and stays in town. "His Way is a residential, Christ-Centered recovery program for men with drug & alcohol addictions. The facility is located in Huntsville, Alabama, and since it began in 2007 has served men & families from all over the United States." (The program is just around the corner from the store.)
I had nothing specific on my to-buy list; when I'm thrifting, I'm usually shopping for kid clothes, props/costumes or a specific clothing/kitchen item. Today, I just opened up my "just in case I see 'XYZ' for sale" file.
Yep. They were for sale, along with AEIO&U.
Here's what I bought for just 13 pennies shy of a Jackson:

I'm addicted to books. Always have been, always will be. I love children's books the best, cause it's easy to see what the quality stuff is. Little Golden Books-- real good stuff. The McDuff book is modern imagining of a children's book from the 1940s-- I think it succeeds. And a "chapter" book for my 9yo, in case the others are too young for him. (Yeah, right.)
![]() |
| Children's books aren't just for children. I adore folktales, lusciously & regionally illustrated. And, there's The Muppets. Cha-ching! |
I'm more likely to buy household items than clothes. We have here: a small Fire King bowl that is a match for the green one I already have (because I
love Fire King-- it's cute, retro & great in the microwave); a collection of mis-matched & capless aluminum knitting needles (because I felt sorry for them); a Cherished Teddies figurine (because I decided to stop accumulating them, but she also looked lonely, is named Madison and is at the beach which my daughter eagerly anticipates visiting in person); an aluminum loaf pan (because after 40 years of being allowed to use the oven, I have concluded aluminum bakeware is unbeatable); and a pair of Arby's Hollyberry tumblers from 1984 (because I am trying to collect a set of all pieces issued and I didn't know these existed.)Speaking of Christmas, here's Snowy & Little Bird, as an enameled stick pin. Y'all, these are my favorite little guys. My mom got me these guys as a plastic Hallmark Christmas pin when I was in fourth grade. I felt a bit grown up having a holiday pin. I've treasured it each Christmastime since. How could I NOT bring this tiny treasure home???
And now for something completely different.
Not that I'm in mid-life or anything.




No comments:
Post a Comment