And????
Oh, yes she did!!!!!!!
I got a role in Fantasy Playhouse Children's Theater production of
"The Great Cross-Country Race"!
(I've known since the night of call-backs. I was at Big Ed's Pizza and enjoying a meal with Carl, my kids, the Millers & Jeremy. After taking the call-- and taking the role-- I hopped all over. Don't yell.)
I should have blogged about this sooner, but as you can tell, I've blogged about other things. Another reason I delayed blogging was that I wanted to find my photos from 2000. Remember, I said I'd been in this play with this company before. And??? So????
In 1999/2000, I played "Mrs. Warren" a rabbit.
In 2013/2014, I will play "Mrs. Warren" a rabbit.
I would have been happy with any role, but to be offered Mrs. Warren again--- y'all, there's a special thrill in being able to say you're reprising a role. For auditions, I brought the characterization I'd used before; I think that helped win it for me. I'm tempted to describe it as "nailed the role," but any good character is a composite-- what I know and bring to the show, and what the director(s) know and impart to and develop from me.
The director the first time I did the show was PJ Sligting, and he was assisted by Karen Alexander and the student director Eric Sizemore. Even while I was auditioning, PJ suggested that I try to talk as if I had the long teeth and lack of lower lip like a rabbit. The nervous, rabbity lisp seemed to be just right. They "blocked out" Mrs. Warren's movements in the scenes I appeared in; I thought up "business" to make her seem nervous & matronly (chasing large balls of yarn as they spilled out of my basket worked nicely.) They had such confidence in me that Karen suggested that I get added to the "cornfield" scene. It did make sense, since each animal reappears at different race check-points and the cornfield was Mrs. Warren's; but as that scene was written, it was so busy that it would seem unlikely a nervous character like Mrs. Warren would poke out her nose (busy means about 10 loud characters dancing, flailing, and scampering.) But I found my niche-- serene until the picnickers arrive, then scampering, flailing and dancing. The best proof that I'd done my job as an actor? My character was so sweet that I got many, many requests for my "autograph" from the audience kids at the after-show meet-n-great. Sigh. If they believe, then I am.
I love to create. I adored working with other actors and stage-crafters.
Brent Baker designed our make-up, which left me amazed at his artistry.
The first time I walked on the completed stage--- as designed by an awesome crew
that included Dennis & Sharon Griffin, Gary Knight and Bob Baker among a dozen others--- WOW, I felt I'd truly entered the quarry glade by the stream. Bitsy & Steve Thornton were in charge of props, the smoke machine "water" and helping the stage managers keep us calm & on cue.
The actors I got to meet: Ronni Kirk & her son Ross, Gabe Jamie & his brother Ari, Emily Griffin (yes, daughter of the above & now pursuing stagecraft in NYC,) Patrick Key (who was back home in between roles in NYC,) Michelle Allen (who had work interfere with plans to direct the current iteration,) Jeff White (photog extraordinaire) and many others.
Some have moved on to follow their jobs or families; the young ones have grown up to follow their futures. Sadly, Carol & Bitsy are no long with us, but I consider myself blessed to have gotten to know them.
Now for the future! This time I will be directed by Lorie Hubscher, who is assisted by Liz Graham and the student director Theresa Gardiner. My make-up will be done by Wynn Oldham. Tom Morris will helm up the set (and I'm certain he's already lining up more talent.) I wonder if Marie will be able to let-out my old costume, for I am "much too matronly" now. And while many of the cast are new to me, over the years I've gotten to know so many other folks whom I'm glad to act with again or finally share a stage with: Cheri Furno, Kevin O'Brien, Sarah Altonji, Michael Keeney, Bill Hubscher and his boys Robbie & Mikey.
First rehearsal is a month away on Dec 17, and we open February 14, 2014.
"Ready... Steady... GO!"



No comments:
Post a Comment