Tuesday, November 5, 2013
Adding to the Fray
It's the time of year to start planning out the kids' Christmas presents. As if they really "needed" anything. With all of the stuff they have from all of the relatives who love to spoil them, it's hard to think of anything toy-wise to gift them, let alone pass on ideas to relatives and Santa.
They'll get books. They love to read! MLB prefers non-fiction (or fact-based fiction) books about animals, math & science. He might be interested in some age-appropriate biographies of contributors to those fields. DLG likes a variety of things from her brother's animal tales to her typical girly/princessy things.
A few more DVD couldn't hurt, either. DLG is taking more of an interest in classic Disney fairy tales; she's also begged for a Hello Kitty video. MLB admits that he likes Despicable Me; if so, then he should like the sequel.
But toys.... there's the problem. They seem to have so much. Some of it gets played with often, while some hardly at all. Any suggestion to give away anything is met with protests. In the past, I've secretly culled their toys, but the boy is too old and the girl is too savvy for that to work. So, despite relocating some things to the grandmothers' houses, I've still got to balance their delight with available room space & their abilities to pick up after themselves. Oy!
I have a few-- very few-- ideas.
Both of them would enjoy "Disney's Eye Found It!" board-game. Many games my 9-year-old son likes are too involved for his 4-year-old sister; likewise, her games aren't challenging enough for him. This one should appeal to the both of them, since they for enjoy "I Spy" books. The game is a typical spin-and-move board-game (a six-foot board illustrated with Disney's most familiar landscapes,) but there is the cooperative part: if a player's next action requires a "Search Card," then all players have two minutes to find and mark as many of that item on the board. When time's up, all players move as many spaces as objects found. Sounds simple & challenging.
I've already bought this one for DLG; they had them at Costco and I could not resist-- the Hello Kitty Jet Plane play set. A few months ago, I showed DLG the on-line slideshow of the Japanese real-life Hello Kitty passenger jet. Yes, she squeed. Now there is a toy one, and the size/playability are a match for the Little People play sets she has. I told you, I couldn't resist!
I'm now wishing I hadn't resisted a darling Lalaloopsy doll at Wal-Mart last week. My mom has already gotten two different ones for DLG for Christmas: Haley Galaxy and Scraps Stitched 'n' Sewn (which might appease her cousin-worship for Monster High stuff-- shudder!) The one I saw was Jewel Sparkles, who sounds SOOO much like my DLG: "She is very graceful, a little bit bossy, loves to dance and wear sparkly clothes." Ah well, if I can't find her at Wal-mart still, there's always Amazon.
But what, oh what, for the Boy? If he's not nose-first into a physics-based computer game, he's building stuff or doing science. So, do I enable his "addiction" or add to the disaster-zone? K'Nex has recently overtaken his Lego fascination. This Space Amusement Park Coaster would be so cool to watch in action; and with the Super Mario Beach set, he could create his own "video game." (But do I REALLY want to add to all the little bits & pieces underfoot?) He's old enough for a microscope or junior chemistry kit, but then we'd all be constantly fighting off Miss Me-Too. (You should hear the fits she hurls when she is told that no, she cannot use her brother's school-issued computer NOR is he required to share.)
Maybe I should just make it easy on myself and do the "one big present."
A trampoline.
(And the jet? Ah, me! DLG's birthday is a mere month after the holidays!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment