Today I baked chocolate chip pumpkin bread from some of our "holiday" pumpkins. Every now and then, I do remember to wear an apron.
Since I wear what would be, if I were a kid, "play clothes," I often ignore the need to cover. Thus, I find myself dipped in egg & dusted in flour.
But.... My aprons are too PRETTY to be battered up!
See that multi-colored one to the left? It also has "pearl trim" at the neckline. I bought it last year from Pier 1 because I fell in love with the one Terri had bought for us to use on Fred in "Greater Tuna." (And she wanted her apron back!) The one I'm wearing today is also from Pier 1-- I couldn't resist the pom-pom edging. The long green one has a big E monogrammed on it; it is a delightful find from Hillary Dunham at Mint Julep Monograms (sorry, the apron is discontinued, but she has tons of other great stuff on her site and at her brick-n-mortar Mint Julep Market.) All those short ones were passed on to me from my grandmothers and great aunts; the gingham were kits/patterns my mom made as gifts in the "salad-days" of her marriage, others are home-ec offerings from daughters, granddaughters, nieces, two are vintage chiffon hostess aprons.
The empty peg to the right usually homes a long blue hostess-smock my mom made for her mom one Christmas; I remember watching her work on it, as well as a green one for herself and a goldenrod (I think) one for her sister-in-law. The blue one is usually my "default" apron, but a tie got snapped off & I haven't tacked it back on.
Ah, my aprons. Too pretty to wear; too charming not to.


No comments:
Post a Comment