Here upon our shortest day of the year, and the longest night, let me amuse you with a few more year-round Christmas touches.
Joy! This is important to me. As a picked-on kid, my life lacked joy, except when I was walking in the woods or riding my bike. I didn't know it was joy that I lacked. I just knew I was unhappy. As a teenager, I kinda "found" who I was, found groups of friends I could be myself with. And, every now and then, I found myself surprised by a happy, bubbly feeling in the very core of my self. I wondered what it was. I wondered if a shoe or two were about to drop and stomp that feeling away. Nope. To say I found joy would be incorrect. I'd found a place in me where I could relax, be free and let joy find me.
![]() |
| My "favorite" JOY, made in college from repurposed ornaments |
A smallish, but increasing flock of penguins have settled here. I would say Opus, from a colligate crush, was my first, but he's Opus, man, not just a bird. Penelope is actually my first, acquired after she bit me, Miss Preen, in "The Man Who Came to Dinner." I also acquired several penguin Christmas ornaments that year as cast gifts. Still not penguin-mania, but the stage is set.
We don't know why MLB loves penguins so. Maybe its because they are an adorable blend of science & cartoon. Maybe it's because, as he was practicing walking, the toddler-sized Penelope was a great target. But when DLG was in 4yo-Pre-K, she personally chose and bought her brother a penguin, at the same time he was buying himself one at his school's Candy Cane Lane shop. He fell in love, and Pengu has been a constant companion since. The one he bought was named Anonymous, and they have been joined by Sparkle the baby Gentoo and little penguin themed things. His sister has a couple of penguins as well, Waddles and Little Penelope. Yes, I might have to rename our home "The Rookery."
Cats and Christmas go together.
The music box my beloved Babchu let me play with. Artfully hidden so my kids don't play with it. (I'm surprised it survived me!)
Vintage Shiny-Brite ornaments. They remind me of my childhood-- both of my grandmothers had these, my parents still used their "our first christmas tree" ones. Their gentle patinas are comforting.
Finally, our "Two Turtle Doves." My first gift to Carlos. It's us. Love-come-down is the reason for the season. I'm glad Carl and I can shine that love to each other.






No comments:
Post a Comment