Saturday, December 12, 2015

Skate Party


So.  DLG got invited to not one, but TWO birthday parties this weekend. Me? I didn't grow up attending all sorts of classmates' parties, and I never had anything larger than a few friends over, but times are what they are.

She was excited about this party, because it was going to be held at a roller-skating rink.  She went skating with her kindergarten class last year and thought it was fun.

When I asked DLG what she wanted as gift for her friend, she quickly answered, "Build-A-Bear gift card!"  (Yes! That's my girl!  And Costco sells a handy discounted 4-pack!!)

The party was fun.  Only four other kids attended (holiday events and all,) but it's never about the quantity but the quality.  I think the party qualified as ENJOYED, by kids and grandparents and aunts and uncles and us parents!  I did what I do better than small-talk; I helped out with set up and clean up.  (Didn't grow up with parties, but have been to a few since I had kids, and I know that parents appreciate the help so they can get back to enjoying the day with their child.)

The birthday girl likes anything "Frozen," so we had plenty of Elsa, Anna and Olaf.  How can snow-magic not be Christmassy???

I'm usually the play-with-the-kids mom, but I really did't feeling like donning a pair of quads.  DLG wanted me to help her skate, or rent her a PVC "stabilizer," but I want her to truly learn to get her balance, falls and all.  I told her that once she learns to not be afraid of falling (it will happen to everyone,) then she'll feel more comfortable skating.  Her friends were mostly wobbly, too, and several parents (and one grandparent) were skating themselves.

Here's my little being helped by an aunt.



Sweetness, isn't it.

But in case a vague reference to Christmas isn't enough, here's something festive from around my house:



Warm footwear that won't roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment