Wednesday, November 7, 2012

My Thoughts on All of This


Once again, we Americans were privileged to elect our president.  As of bedtime, I wasn't sure who it would be.   I tried to avoid all news sources today, even FaceBook, because, in a way, I didn't care about the outcome.

Sounds strange, but hear me out.....

For one thing, I did go vote today.  I make it a point to vote every chance I get.  I believe in getting my say.  It might not be a big enough say to change anything, but it makes me a part of the tradition and gives me at least a participatory leg to stand on if I'm critical of our officials and laws.  I so believe in voting, that I take the children with me, and they look forward to going to the polls.  They've become, I think, more recognized with the workers than I am.



I, myself, was not taken when my parents cast their ballots, but Richard B. Russell Elementary school was a polling place, and those booths with their curtains declared that this was "Grown Up."  I knew, one day, I would see behind that curtain.  Add that I was eight when a president was elected during the Bicentennial, I was thus imprinted.

So if I care so much about voting, why don't I care about the results.

I'm interested, but I don't care.

My vote is private and personal.  I am an independent thinker (which is not the same as an Independent.)  I'll gladly discuss my opinions about what I find promising or lacking in a candidate, platform or statute.  Discuss, mind you.  "Politics," as promulgated by what was formerly a more informative estate, is regrettably saturated with sound bites of polar attitudes.  If no one has noticed, not much but harshness truly lives and thrives at the poles.  But I will not, after my ballot is run, tell you how I voted, and I will not ask you.

These candidates are not my friends and family.  One day, I might personally know and work on behalf of a candidate, in which case I will actually feel I can say, "My candidate," and share in the emotions for election or defeat.  But for the most part, these are things I'm asked to make my personal decision upon, not take it personally.

My decision will be weighed with everyone else's decisions.  Win or lose, pass or fail, I, as a citizen, will follow and support the outcome.  I am a natural-born citizen, so no one has ever asked me to swear my fealty as our blessed Naturalized citizens do.  I give my unspoken oath, just the same.  If I truly disagree and feel that the liberties I am assured will be compromised by the outcome, I have two choices: campaign like crazy to convince everyone to vote with me; OR, go through the proper channels to have the issue and vote recalled.  So far, so good, I haven't had to do either.

Win or lose, the outcome doesn't make me a winner or loser. Unfortunately, too, too many people deeply identify with their candidates of choice, such that they do not want intelligent discussion before a polling (which might foster understanding and a changing of minds;) then if they find "they" have lost, will take it as a rabid and personal affront, or if "they" win, will have a Sherman's March to the inauguration.  Until I run for office, or put forth an issue from my heart, I'll still be me in the morning, thank you kindly.

I will be eager to read the (almost) official results and start hearing how the future will begin to unfold again tomorrow.  But until then, and afterwards, I will not "care."

I've got better things to care about.



1 comment: