Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Cooking Something New
Remember those "Low Country Cookies" I mentioned in "The Wrap"?
I gave them a try, and my women's group really liked them. Like me, they were all amazed that the filling had coconut-- all except Barbara W. who said she noticed it right away. ("Oh, I'm sorry. that's a bad thing, " says Christi; "No, no! I like coconut, that's why I noticed it." Well OK, then, it's all good.)
I should have made them a day ahead of time, and let them set over night. I also should have gone with my instincts and lined it with individual cracker rectangles since I was making it of a morning. (Also decided to add vanilla to the filling; might ought to have stirred that in with the coconut, but it's only because I'm worried it might have interfered with the soft set.) If you use mini chocolate chips instead of chopped pecans, definitely sprinkle them on top (hot mix, got it?) I also wasn't sure if non-canned coconut would be acceptable, but since I couldn't find canned coconut, I used a bag of coconut pulverized up with a can of coconut milk-- worked well.
If I'm going to talk about it, I guess I'd better share.
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Low Country Cookies
Ingredients:
Cookie part
1 (16 oz) box graham crackers
reserve about 13 -15 to create cookie
crush enough to create 1 cup crumbs
Filling
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup shredded coconut (or three 1/2 ounce cans)
Topping
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
3 tablespoons milk
Line the bottom of a 13x9-inch pan with whole graham crackers.
Melt the butter in a saucepan and add sugar. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and milk together, then add to butter mixture. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add nuts, coconut and graham cracker crumbs. Spread over the crackers in the pan. Top with another layer of whole graham crackers.
To make the topping, beat all of the ingredients together and spread over top layer of crackers.
Chill until filling is firm and then cut into squares.
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Yep. Coconut that escapes all but the most discriminating palates.
Bring on the yum.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment