Monday, November 5, 2012

Back into the Fray


Today has broken my four-day streak of having my post ready the day before for morning auto-publish.

I was up late, back into the fray.  Yes, barely a week off, and I'm doing my theater-thing again.

(Don't judge me.  You know who you are, and you just might be jealous.)

I'm helping as tech crew for "It's a Wonderful Life."  I'm involved for various reasons:  the director Gina came and asked me to help tech-- it'd been far too long since we'd worked together;  I have a soft spot for the play, as it was the first one I'd ever been cast in way back in 1995;  I figured being mere "crew" would be "easy" with no lines to memorize and no leadership to plan.

Backstage, it is as true as on stage; there are no "small parts" and now I know there is no "mere crew."

I ADORE IT.  (I might even love it more than chocolate biscuits.)

Brenda is new to Theatre Huntsville, but eagerly volunteered to be in charge of props.  She's found a splendid trove, but still had some gaps in the inventory.  I'm helping her with those, as well as taking notes on where pre-sets need to be.  I also found the butcher paper for setting up the tables with permanent drop spots.  (It was in the sewing room-- nice to know some things don't change.)

I've made myself two lists of 'things to do' and 'things to acquire.'  One is on my phone and the other is on the envelope of my parking passes.

With all of those notes that I shared with Brenda, she offered to put "being in charge of props" on me because of my experience.  No, no, no.  I'll tell you what I told her and what I'd already had in mind before the directing staff & I found we were of the same mind:  Brenda should be in charge of props because she volunteered and put in the strong point work;  what she had done was excellent for someone whose previous experience was assisting a props person.

Most community theaters are in desperate need of two things, money & man-power.  Sometimes actors are hard to find, but it's harder to find folks willing to do the non-glamorous stuff like being on the board, taking out the trash, answering the phone & being tech crew.  I (and everyone else) are thrilled she has volunteered and has done so well.  The only way to know & grow is to DO.  I told her that I had all of these notes because I was a fresh set of eyes;  she'd been working on it for weeks.  Yes, I have experience, but that's because others before me taught me AND trusted me to be in charge.  She is deserving of the same trust and honor, and I do not want to take that away from her. I'm here to help, and once all of the gaps are closed up, she'll be the bull-dog to chase down actors for pick-ups & returns.  She'll have a few tricks of mine for her future opportunities.

I never want my function to be irreplaceable; we're all replaceable.  I want myself to be indispensable.

Therefore, since there is often little distinction, storage-wise, between props and set dressing, Leslie & I are on that.

I'll be at least swabbing pancake on our 3 dozen actors before the make-up person finishes them.

I'll give a hand (well, both hands) to Lynn & the other Gina with moving set pieces and making sure the traveler doesn't get hung up.

Since the leads' quick changes will also involve prop changes, I'll aid Stephanie with that.

I'll likely even help out with maintaining the body mikes.

I'll stay busy and useful and learn a few new tricks myself.  I'll laugh (quietly) back stage while bonding with cast & crew new to me.

Yes, I will be indispensable.  But I'll be having loads of fun!


2 comments:

  1. You are absolutely indispensable to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I spent this evening gluing money in a basket and using a gun to threaten a Xmas tree to keep it together. Wacky, but fun.

      Delete