Doing math homework? Done in under 5 minutes.
Doing his sentences and questions for spelling? Can take all week.
Despite being as skinny as a supermodel, he is getting bigger; if I want him to settle down to do anything after school, I have to use 10 mg of his ADHD meds. That only helps collect his thoughts; the next trick is to persuade him. That's where I've made the discovery that "carrots" work if he's had enough meds. And the carrot's big enough.
Last Monday, I told him he couldn't write a note to the Tooth Fairy until he'd finished his homework. Even though dinner was done & we were winding down for bed, he pulled out his binder and blew through the spelling words. The next day, I told him we couldn't ask our neighbors to come over to play unless he finished his homework. "Not fair!" As usual, I reminded him that it is "fair" and it's not hard, but that the problem is that writing sentences isn't his favorite thing to do. Bim-bang-pow! Done, and done.
2nd graders tie-dye shirts to wear on field trips; I helped on tie-dye day. I wanted to match, but I forgot to bring my family's shirts. So, he helped me pick out a kit at Wal-Mart to use at home.
Today was tie-dye day at home, IF he finished his homework. "Not fair!" He'd written all of two sentences when Scott arrived at 5:30 with the pizzas. "When can I finish my homework????" After dinner. He ate one slice of pizza. "Now can I do my homework?" Done in less than 15 minutes, and ready to dye.
"Can I finish my dinner now?"(nom-nom-nom) Sigh, I'll take what I can get. Now to dig up tomorrow's enticement.
No comments:
Post a Comment