Advent begins today, the joyful anticipation of the incarnation of the Christ. The children will begin their countdown calendars on December 1-- some will be secular, some will be religious.
But for us adults, the four Sundays before the Feast of Christ's Nativity are the countdown.
Some years, I've let the first day of Advent slip past me, even though I store my wreath our walk-in closet. Not this year. I asked MLB what was special in the church today. He was so excited, all he could do was hold up a single finger. One- we were lighting one candle today.
My Advent wreath isn't fancy, but it is special. My parents did not have an advent wreath for us when I was growing up. They still don't. When I moved out on my own, I wanted one, but money was tight.
I made mine.
The candles are store-bought-- I think the last three matching purples discount store had that year. All five are secured in plaster of Paris bases poured into cupcake papers. (I did white candles in plaster for my Sunday School kids last Lent; at their age, I'd had my own "Easter" candle from Sunday School, so I did the same craft with them.)
The plaster is wrapped in green satin and tied with gold cording. Both were bought from the discount bins, and have been used in many other projects. I do not want to light them (they never burn down at the same rate, anyways,) so I use another twist of the gold cording to indicate which week it is.
The green garland I bought as a personal prop for the first play I was ever in. Bank Street Players in Decatur did "It's a Wonderful Life" in 1995. I got to play "Aunt Tilly" (ditzy & married to Uncle Billy.) I was supposed to be decorating the bank in one vignette, so I got something to deck the halls. I've had it ever since.
The blue ribbon is an after-holiday sale find. I adore that shade of blue, and it is fitting with the season. Instead of using the true purple of solemn repentance that's normally associated with Lent, many churches are using a deep royal indigo which evokes the silent anticipation and joyful song of the clear midnight.
My wreath. We are all excited. O Come! O Come, Emmanuel!

No comments:
Post a Comment