Friday, November 18, 2011

I Tried It, I Can Knock It


I pampered myself last month. I would adore weekly spa days, but we don't have a money tree. So in usual mother fashion, I put myself last.

I only do what I have to do. In the first case, I was beyond needing a hair cut because I was now beyond 6 months since my last one.

I will also will do what I am encouraged to do. I have some of the dearest friends and family, who love me and do their best to pamper me with gift cards. In the second case, my husband got me a Groupon gift for a spa mani/pedi.

*************************************************************

Off I went to Beleza. It's not far up the street and was introduced to me years ago by my friend Tara. Who lives one state away and used the Internet to find a nearby spa so I could have a gift of indulgence. I chose a pedicure back then. Loved it! Went back for a hair cut & style. Loved it more! They are an Aveda salon, so I get to enjoy their wonderful Comfort Tea. The place is full of swell smells, I get a de-stressing head rub before my shampoo and often a hand massage during the shampoo. There are no kids there, just women of all ages & beauty and really hip staff. It is my happy place. I just neglect myself.... I've also had three different stylist. Not mad, not at all! The first took a job at another Aveda salon in the next county so she didn't have to drive so far to work & to have her mom look after her son-- totally cool choice. The next one decided to be a SAHM after the birth of her son-- again, totally cool. If I would get my hair cut every 6 to 8 weeks, I wouldn't be surprised by these changes, but.... I like my new stylist. When I said I wanted to lose some length, she believed me. Finally, someone who cut my hair short when I asked (yes, it was long, but it wouldn't get much longer than that, besides it was driving me nuts and I never wore it down any more. It'll grow back when I feel like it.) She cut my hair the way I asked, and the floor looked like she'd shaved Persian Cat.

Another thing I've been wanting to do is put a blue streak in my hair. Not permanent, but like I used to in the '80s when you could buy all sorts of out-there mascara colors. I'd like a color wand for my hair. I've looked for colored mascaras at the retails, but that's not back in fashion. (I have not looked at Sally Beauty Supply, at Ulta or at Enchanted Masquerade-- see above comment about "mother fashion.") I notice my stylist had some bright pink streaks in her hair. Not color-- feathers. That's in fashion: fancy-rooster feathers that can be washed & styled like hair. Now I've been "uh-huh" about this fashion, and not interested in trying it myself. However, this was the month of October and they were pink; Beleza had sponsored a team for the Liz Hurley Ribbon Run to support local research for breast cancer cure/treatment and to support local groups who help individuals and families cope with the disease. This month only, for a $10 donation to the cause, I could get a free pink feather. Sounded win-win to me; I would not be buying it, but I would be trying it though the support of a worthy local cause. I couldn't decided between the plain feather or the black-striped feather. I donated $20 and got them both.

They were cute. They were fun. Then the novelty passed and they just hung there. Maybe I should have styled them. I don't really style my hair. Naturally curly is all about the air dry. They were crimped by a bead to a few strands of my hair. No big deal to cut five hairs.

The feathers might be "the thing" for someone else, but not for me. I'm keeping them in case DLG wants to wear them, but I'll put them on a clip for her. (Must try to find a hair wand for self...)

*************************************************************

A week later, I used my Groupon certificate. I had to. I'd had it since my birthday in July and it expired November first! I have very little child-free daytime hours, and I must first use them for things like health care, home care & education support. But by October, things were finally routine with the new school year.

Maybe the other reason I was in no hurry to use it was that it was NOT for Beleza. It was for a spa way out in Madison. My husband really wanted to get me a good birthday present, and it was a really good present, but I was in no rush to drive that far. But it was a really good present, and sassy me with her short hair and feathers was ready for some more pampering.

The salon was nice. Empty, but nice. I'm hoping that it was empty because the naked toes of summer were taking a back-to-school fall break before the fancy feet of the holidays. There was a lot of money invested in this start-up business. That day I was the only customer.

I tried to relax and enjoy the pedicure, but I couldn't because the throne had a "relaxing" massage chair. I hope that it's not typical of massage chairs. The back kneading would thrust me forward. The head rubbing bounced my skull. The chair was also designed to massage the thighs and fanny; I almost felt violated. THAT massage chair was not my "cup of tea."

I liked the pedicure (minus the chair.) The technician suggested a French Pedicure. I'm still liking my toe color. I liked my nail color, too, but that is now gone. The technician suggested a gel for my nails. I was impressed by how study her nail color was, and I knew my mom was very happy with her acrylic nails. What I didn't know was that gel acrylics are cured with UV light. That, in addition to not knowing that acrylics must be manually, not chemically, removed. (So that's why it's a big deal if a salon touts "No drills.") As pretty as my pink nails looked, I was now sporting new freckles on a few fingers. I also developed a painful spot on the outside of my pinkie that looked like what happens if you get a deep burn blister. The color grow-out was obvious, and I was able to peel the acrylic off in the shower after about three weeks. Along with the top layer of my nails.

No more acrylics for me-- gel or otherwise. They are a nice thing, don't get me wrong. They are wonderful for anyone who needs a durable color, like a nail technician. They are wonderful for someone with weak nails, like my mom. I have strong nails and pale skin. I do not need high-maintenance nails.

*************************************************************

To recap:
new stylist= good;  hair feathers = not so good for me;
French Pedicure = good; gel acrylic nail = not so good for me;
whatever brand of massage chair = an abomination to relaxation

No comments:

Post a Comment