Friday, May 14, 2010

Friday Favorites: Snack-cake ERVs

This week I volunteered to be in charge of the "Special Snack" for my son's autism resource class. Since they were learning about emergency responders like policemen & firemen, I thunk-up some ERVs from snack-cakes. (The hardest thing was brain-storming what to use as wheels.) I have been told that the kids loved making and showing off their creations today. Not that artistic pride got in the way of eating their ERVs. This might not be an engineering marvel, like a space shuttle, but it's also a proud Huntsville creation. I hope you like them, too.





Snack-cake ERVs
(Emergency Response Vehicles)


Ingredients for each ERV:

White or vanilla frosting
1 Twinkie or other oblong snack-cake
4 Junior Mints
2 Reece’s Pieces (or other small, round candy)
in yellow or orange
1 Berry Candy (or gumdrop-like candy)
in red or blue (or two)
Red or Blue sugar sprinkles
(can omit if using red or blue frosting)



Step 1:
Unwrap, then lightly frost top & sides of snack-cake.



Step 2:
Attach 4 Junior Mints to frosting as wheels, using 2 per long side.



Step 3:
Attach 2 Reece’s Pieces to frosting as headlights, using both on one short side.



Step 4:
Lightly sprinkle with red sugar for a fire truck or with blue sugar for a police car; or leave plain white for an ambulance. (Can omit sprinkles if using red or blue frosting.)



Step 5:
Attach 1 Berry candy (or 2) to the middle of the top of the cake as the emergency light. Use a touch of frosting if needed.



Emergency Response Vehicles can be additionally decorated with candy strings, piped icing, alphabet cereal, etc.




2 comments:

  1. HOW CUTE ARE THESE!!
    Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so adorable! They could be cinderella's carriage for girls!

    Anyway, I'm so tickled Lizzie that you want to join us.Yipee! I look forward to reading about the younger you.

    I think I've convinced my mom to join. I've heard her stories but I'm excited for her to get them typed up in a more permanent way.

    Please be sure to mention or extend the invitation to record your youth with anyone you think might be interested.

    The site is now live so you can go there and subscribe and stay up to date with things.

    http://mommyspiggytales.com

    It will be a summer or memories new and old!

    ReplyDelete