Friday, May 21, 2010

Friday Favorites: Carmel Apple Salad

This is actually a "fave" from 2 weeks ago, but with end-of-school picnics & Memorial Day upon us, we could all use an easy-peasy, sure-fire recipe. I got this from Sue C., one of the ladies I knit with (when the kids let me,) and when she made it, I nearly made a pig of myself. So, I decided to make it for the "Appreciation" breakfast that I'd brought MLB's teachers two weeks ago. I understand they all but licked the bowl, too. I hope you like it, too.


**********************************************************************

CARAMEL APPLE SALAD

1 (3.4 oz.) pkg vanilla instant pudding
1 cup milk
1 (8 oz.) tub whipped topping (can use fat-free kind)
6 - 8 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into bite-size chunks
6 regular size Snickers candy bars, cut into bite-size chunks
(Optional: colored sprinkles or chocolate curls for garnish)

Mix milk and pudding until blended.
Fold in whipped topping.
Add apples and candy bar pieces, and mix well.
Chill until ready to serve. Garnish.
Serves 6 -10 (you hope!)

**********************************************************************


Personal note: Please, PLEASE, remember to get the instant "no-cook" pudding mix. I wasn't thinking & grabbed a big box of the "regular" kind. I added it to the milk & thought, "OK, how is this going to thicken if I don't cook it? And how can I can add whipped topping to sloshy milk, or hot pudding. At 6:30 a.m. With 2 kids to get ready?" So I put the milk & mix into a microwave-safe bowl & nuked it 30 minutes at a time until thickened, and then flash cooled it in the freezer. It was much harder to properly fold in the whipped topping this way, and it took WAY longer than it should, but I got the job done. And it was delish. A different vanilla flavor to my taste buds, but I am somewhat of a super-taster. Consider yourself cautioned.



Another happy installment of the Friday Favorites carnival.

3 comments:

  1. OH LORD, I want to eat this RIGHT NOW. It is definitely on the list for the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word. A recipe with Snickers. You are speaking my love language!! I can't wait to try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. snickers? in salad? oh wowowow! sounds yumm!

    ReplyDelete