Saturday, May 1, 2010

Friday Favorites: MLB

I don't mean Major League Baseball, although that is fun & a (mostly) respectable sport that doesn't seem to last all year long. (Go Braves!)

MLB = Mommy Little Boy = my son.

I've sort of introduced my son via his room, his quirks, his observations and his diagnosis, but he's really a neat-o kid who has a lot to offer. Usually. In my blog & FaceBook, I refer to him as "MLB." I want to keep him anonymous for all of the usual reasons. "MLB" is actually his idea. His baby sister just ADORES her father (& big brother); she's also cute (as is her big brother.) Her daddy had been calling her PYT (pretty young thing), but then when it was obvious she has been "Daddy's Little Girl," he changed it to "DLG." ("Are you DLG?!?!?" giggle-giggle!)

So, brother pipes up with "I'm MLB!"

?????????

Oh!

And so he is.

May is his birth-month, and since you've only seen one picture of him from Easter, here's a few more to catch you up:

This one of my favorites! His smile goes from his toes to his hat! I got lucky snapping that one with a non-digital camera. He's about 3 months old here and he's wearing his first baseball outfit (given to him by Trish W. when he was 3 days old). Of course, that's Daddy. Oh, that quirk to his smile? MLB was born with a complete unilateral cleft-- except for that anomalous band of skin under his nose. A month later we would begin a 3-month series of corrective operations.


MLB is 9M here, and cutting his first teeth. He's now six months past the repair of his lip & his scar has healed to almost unnoticeable. The palate was repaired in November. What I wish I have is a fish-face picture; once the palate was repaired, and he could create negative pressure, he was making kissy-fish faces all of the time. And demonstrated he no longer need help with his bottles, thank you.


A few months past his 1st birthday. MLB is having too much fun at the Hubschers' Fourth of July party. He's just a swangin'!


MLB is waiting to go to MMO. He's 2 and it's August, so this is his first day. The boy is very smart: see how he's matched up each letter with its corresponding number, using his magnetic letters & foam numbers? We didn't teach him that. See how he's quirky: the series had to start with "1." ("0" = "10" here.) Not long after this he further demonstrates his intelligence & quirkiness: he recites the alphabet "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXZY" because, we deduce, that he doesn't like endings, so if the "Z" doesn't come at the end... He also boycotts the use of "zero" for about six month since it's "nothing." Did I mention he soon became a self-taught reader & obsessed about numbers & math? By age 3?


MLB is 3 years old & ready to party! (Homemade cake, can you tell? But he wanted balloons. 3 candles + 1 to-grow-on.) He's just blown out the candles, with Paw-paw's help. In a minute, he's going to stick his fingers in the icing. With Paw-paw's help. (Funny, every time I stick my fingers in the food for a taste, my Daddy smacks MY hand. Still. How come?)


Another favorite, this time mid-May at 4yo. MLB & his Daddy before a baseball game. MLB loves sports because sports are full of numbers. As a toddler, he'd watch games on TV with his dad to see the players' shirt numbers and the score. Since baseball is just et-up with statistics & the use of numbers in all aspects of the game, he likes baseball. Not that we have a problem with that.


When MLB was 4 1/2, we welcomed a baby sister (remember, DLG?). He likes her a lot, and was very anxious for her to arrive. We told him it would be in January. By the time New Year's Day was over, he was demanding to know where was his sister! Here, she looks very startled that her newly minted 5-year-old brother wants to hold her after a birthday dinner.


Still five, but now it's August. His first day of Kindergarten at the elementary school he'll be at through 5th grade. This is actually monumental. He loves school & the other kids, and does not cry about being left. But after all the problems we'd had in previous years in trying to find him a "school" program, and having to change because of his ADHD & ASD, well, it's nice to be "home."


And now the picture from Easter. For once, he's the only one looking anywhere near the camera & not goofing off. He'd be glad to tell you exactly how old he is here, but it's not quite six & I think I'll keep the exact date fuzzy as well. But he doesn't look much different right now-- except right now he's in shorts, a t-shirt and peanut butter. (Sigh.)

So, there was my favorite son. And only one, so I can't lie.


And Hillary over at The Other Mama has had some exciting spring additions, too! She's now on WordPress, and next week will be the grand opening of her on-line store, Mint Julep Monograms! (Link to link soon.) I know you'll be charmed by MJM; I've already got 2 orders in with her, and I'm plotting more. Which says something since I'm not a monogrammed/personalized kind of gal....

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the walk through your sons life. He grew up right before my eyes.

    AH yes, books in the bathroom how could I forget. Although my B likes to do her business and get out of there so we really haven't had them in the bathroom-that's more a daddy thing at this house:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is just so incredibly beautiful, in so many, many ways. You're so blessed.

    And he's blessed to have you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the pic of him and his sister. He looks so happy!

    ReplyDelete