Friday, September 2, 2011

Chore Chart, Line 3



Exercise should be on everyone's Chore Chart. The benefits are obvious: flexibility, strength, endurance, better circulation, better respiration, increased metabolism, increased endorphins, and on and on.

Not so easy when I was born without an athletic bone in my body. It's not a habit I developed when I was young. I was always chosen last for teams, was the right-fielder's substitute's substitute and was a horrible failure at The President's Physical Fitness Test. So why should I even try?

But. I like to move & be active. I've liked dancing since I was an itty-bitty. Even though I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was 8, once I "got it," I don't think I got off of it until I went to college. I can walk nearly 4 mph if I'm "in shape," which isn't bad for someone with flat feet. Then there were the eight years of marching band; high stepping while using all of your good breath for something other breathing is a workout.

When did I get off track? Dropping out of marching band in college to concentrate on partying. Stopping riding my bike in Alabama (it's not a very bike-friendly state like Tennessee & Illinois.) Making more time for more sitting & playing "stupid computer games" instead of walking & enjoying the wonderful world God gave us. Complaining that it's "too" hot/cold/wet instead of adapting. Having sedentary but mentally tiring "desk" jobs, or having physically repetitive but mindless service industry jobs. Claiming tired.... busy.... unprepared.....

I am now fat. And out of shape. If I weren't keeping up with two kids, and genetically inclined to handle extra weight, I'd be a real mess.

I am working towards doing what I enjoy. We only live a half mile from my son's school and less than a mile from our church, so I walk the boy to school in the mornings now. I continue on to the church on the days my daughter goes to MMO. Then I walk back home. When we finally see cooler temps in the next few months, we'll walk home from school & MMO, too. I'd like to add a trip down the greenway to my non-MMO days. We live next to a wonderful greenway that runs behind our house all the way down to the Tennessee River, and Huntsville, Madison & the County are working to make more greenways and designated bike routes. When I get one of my bikes fixed, I'll start biking again, too, if I can coordinate the kids & his future biking with my husband. (The worst part will be getting my bike-butt back.) These are easy & free things I can do. I could also make exercise a more social activity if we were to join the local YMCA; we're still looking at our budget for that one.

Truthfully, I feel better when I get moving. I feel happier. I get the extra pounds off. What it is the shoe company said? "Just Do It."




No comments:

Post a Comment