It's no surprise that I have a pile of "projects" waiting for my attention. With two kids who play hard and are the glad recipients of hand-me downs, there's always a button or tear. They also have books that need taping, snugglies that need stitching and toys that need gluing. Our chairs and cabinets pop screws and nails. Nicknacks take dings, jewelry gets kid-handled.
There's much, much more that needs cobbling together then there was before kids. It's harder to get around to doing the repairs as well, since kids don't interact well with needles.... or Super Glue. It does pile up, as do the things I have on hand to make some more creative repairs.
Again, doing this is to cut down on clutter and whittle away at my procrastination. I'm also very proud or my abilities. I do good work. I've made a rolling laundry hamper out of an old round medical stand (it has great metal caster action that they just don't manufacture any more), "hotel-style" shower curtain rings, large grommets & a muslin canvas drop-cloth. I just stitched up the holes in the bottom of my son's old Iron Man backpack so my daughter can carry it, and you wouldn't know that the backpack didn't come as it is now configured. (Hey, it's shiny & it's a backpack like brother's. She wanted it for MMO and I wanted to save money.)
I like fixing things. But I like fixing them well, which means slowing down, making the space and making the time. Slowing down, making space, taking time, feeling good about a job well-done... aren't these the sorts of thing you find in self-help books. Getting that pile done, one or two things at a time, is working. Some things I can do while waiting for my "stupid computer games" to load. Other things take just a few moments, or are portable for when I have to sit around somewhere. So I can do this, and get my smiley star.
And if I ever get current with my fix-it pile, I can always change the line to "Work on a Craft"; I have a few crochet projects I've started but not finished and a sweater I'd like to knit!
No comments:
Post a Comment