Tuesday, January 3, 2017

How High?


We are not supposed to be "helicopter parents."

But we are also supposed to be involved in our kids' learning.

So how high should I hover?

My daughter is preparing for First Reconciliation and First Communion. True, a family should worship together, and parents should be able to teach their children in the way they should go. But to make sure she is ready, her Sunday School teachers have also assigned work for the parents to do with the kids. I'm certain she won't "fail" if we parents don't help her do all the exercises. But, how will it reflect on all of us? I feel guilty that I have not made time to work with her on this. I also goggle over it; this was not a part of her brother's instruction five years ago.... it was not a part of mine four decades ago. Even without her Religious Education classes, she learns much about her growing relationship with God through our talks.

So how high should I hover?

My son has a science project due this 3rd 9-week period. It's either due in 3 weeks or 6 weeks, depending on the date of the "STEM Fair." (Not just your boing parents' Science Fair any more.) I find no date posted for the fair, anywhere on any school related site. His teacher has, on Edmodo (a curriculum-anchored social site for schools/classes,) only assigned to turn in project ideas for teacher approval; parents approval comes later. But when? There is the 3-page guide in the Science Folder. That's it. It is a comprehensive guide, but without due dates. It does have the caveat that research must access two books from the school library before referring to the Internet, yet when can my son go? Standardized tests and holiday breaks came up quickly; there is little free time in the school day. Also, my son is notorious for losing hand-outs and not paying attention to notes on the whiteboard. We are working to make him accountable, but we also rely on his IEP to make sure that the teachers are allowed to give him the time and flexibility that the standard of "teaching to the test" doesn't allow for.

So how high should I hover?

Because, I know myself well and I know I was never fan of my own homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment