Sunday, January 10, 2016
"Superior Donuts"
I'm in this sweet little holiday show called "Superior Donuts." It's by Tracy Letts. The dialog is full of cussing. The set features graffiti "Pu$$y" center stage. A character gets mutilated. There's a major fight scene. The cops are kind of useless. I play a senior-citizen homeless wino.
But it really is a sweet little holiday play.
It's sweet because the premise is that some people who seem lost in their directions in life finally find their ways to being the better people they want to be. The bad guys get defeated. We get to eat donuts.
It's little because it's fairly short, there are few set-change elements/costume-change elements, so the scenes should move along.
It's a holiday play because the setting notes say the play takes place in Uptown Chicago over a few weeks spanning from December thru January. The average person won't realize this until the last scene when a character says "I trust you have wonderful holiday time?" But, since theater people in Huntsville are geeky people, I have learned that the "Chicago Comics Con" takes place annually in December; one of the show characters does Star Trek cosplay at the convention which is often referenced in the play.
So, see? Sweet little holiday play! (Come see me wear a droopy poinsettia on my hat and hear me cuss!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment