Tuesday, November 24, 2015

A Glass to the Season






I finally received my mom's china cabinet.  (Because she finally got her bigger one.)  This year, I can show off my grandmother's Noritaki china and my Arby's glassware.

Going to Arby's was a treat when I was a kid.  We didn't have one in Warner Robins; the nearest was in Macon.  Roast beef sandwiches with Arby's sauce, potato cakes, Jamocha shakes... yumm!  When Arby's started offering a glass-with-beverage-purchase, my mom made sure we got a set of the Saturday Evening Post ones, and the Coca-Cola ones.

Years and years later, while I lived in Auburn, Arby's started their Holly Berries series.  I fell in love.  As my budget would permit, I would buy that year's offering.  My collecting stopped when I moved in with my parents after college.  I don't think they had Arby's in Chicago.  Not that I had anywhere to show off my glassware.  By the time I was back on my own, Arby's was on to their Winter Scene pattern.  I was not interested.

I am, luckily, a thrift-store addict.  This is the time of year they haul out their Christmas donations, and I can usually find some more pieces for no more than the dollar they originally cost.  I'm attempting to acquire at least eight of each piece:  goblet, goblet with bow, contoured tumbler, tapered tumbler, parfait glass.  These are the ones I know of.  I thought there might have been a Irish coffee cup, but I could be mistaken.  I do have ONE coffee mug, but that might have been a limited market item.

Today I washed and stowed this season's purchases: eleven goblets with bows, one tapered tumbler.  I've passed on additional parfaits and goblets; I already have about ten of each.  I'm still on the look-out for five more tapered tumblers and four more contoured.  Yes, I could buy them on-line, but where's the fun in that?  Some people hunt with guns.  I hunt with $1s.

I find these beautiful--  the bright red & green, the dainty pattern scale, the subtle gold rim.    They make me happy.  Libby Glassware, who designed and produced them for Arby's, created several other "holly" style patterns for glass and ceramic; those patterns are in the same hue families, with similar art stylings.  Maybe after I complete my Arby-ware, I'll add in some cousin serving pieces, as well.

A toast, anytime, to Christmas joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment