Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ker-Plop!

That was the sound of my head hitting the pillow at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday night. That is odd for me, but when you're a night owl, the sleeps will come a hootin' sometime.

Being a night owl is an OK lifestyle/inclination if you're a college student with late morning classes. OK, too, if you're single & childless & able to sneak in a nap after work.

It is impossible if you're the mother of two young children.

But I do it anyway, figuring that later than sooner, I'll get plenty of rest when I'm dead.

I'm a night owl. I just can't help it. I think I'm just made this way. It drove my parents nuts, since children are supposed to go to bed early & then wake up early-- and I didn't. Drove my parents even more nuts, because my mom is an early-to-bed-dang-I'm-awake-early type, and my dad is also a night owl/a.m. sack hound and knows the difficulties thereof. Oh, well.

I do not use my nighttime wisely. I read entertaining but unenlightening literature. I lurk on FaceBook. I play solitaire games on the computer. I read a few other blogs. I do not slog though YouTube or Wikipedia, although those are tempting time-sucks.

I play that accursed FarmVille & FarmTown. Until they had become as much work to maintain as actually keeping a home & garden, I used to claim those as my "happy places," since my small house is crammed to the gills with the stuff of two children, crowding out my stuff. (Yeah, YOU tell the grandparents and doting aunts & uncles that they can't give STUFF any more unless it's money. I have a very clear recollection that I mostly got, from my relatives, cash which was promptly turned into savings bonds. Not much STUFF at all.)

Sometimes I do get something useful done like... sort, cull and label the ten-million photos we've down-loaded. We have a new digital camera with tons of memory, so we have tons of pictures. Which we need; I get one good shot of MLB in about twenty; DLG is just too cute to only take one picture of.

I've started blogging, too. (ta-da!)

But mouse-potato does sum it up. During the day, the kids need attention, or want to help me while I'm on the computer. Housework must done during the day so I don't wake the kids at night. And this also a work computer for my husband, so if he needs it for work (you never know when Japan will call with a question,) I'm out of here. I get to roam at night. I used to scrapbook at night, but every time I get the dining room table cleaned off, stuff goes right back on it. And I put it there. Because there isn't any place else to put it. Unless I want the help of a 12 month old. (Makes me wonder why I even bother with the photos.)

BUT, I still have to get up at 6 a.m. to get MLB off to school, and make sure DLG gets fed & petted. I could nap when she naps, but she prefers to nap in the car. Sleeping & driving are frowned upon. So every now and then I just crash. And it feels so good to sleep. And wake rested. And I think I ought to go to sleep by 10 every night.

Hm. Please note post time. As I said.... later, when I'm dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment