Friday, January 3, 2014

Friday Favorites: MY Space


No, not that one.  I'm pretty much settled in to FaceBook, and use Google for everything else except social-networking.

And Netflix.  Learned the hard way that Google + Silverlight + Netflix = Really Pissed Off MacBook

I'm crowing about a space in my house that is all my own.  It's only about 21 square feet, but it's all I actively need.  I'm rather efficient and effective at storing my "raw materials."

Ta-Da!!


I can thank Hazel for my little area to craft & sew & blog & scrapbook & correspond.

Until early December, the area off the kitchen (aka "breakfast nook") was used as our dining space.  Hazel had her dining room suite in here.  The hutch held all of her wonderful stuff, but we would only eat every now and then at the table.  Sometimes one of us would use it as work space (craft, computer, homework,) but it wasn't ideal for that.

Fun, but not ideal.

The room that most would consider a "formal dining room" we used as a "library."  Lots of lovely bookshelves filled with books.  Since there was no other furniture in the room, I'd set up a table to do some sewing & crafting. Again, useful, but not ideal.  We couldn't enjoy the view of the books and nicknacks.  My work table in the middle gave me room, but no access to electrical outlets for things like my sewing machine or glue guns;  using extension cords or moving the table to the only accessible wall outlet created a walking hazard.  That room also got blinding morning sunlight; in the evening, the overhead lights were too dim.  (Sorry, no photo.)

The more Hazel thought about our spaces, especially with the kids over here and playing all over the floors, as well as a place for the Christmas tree..... Well, Carl had mentioned that the previous homeowners had used the tiled "breakfast nook" as a play area for their toddler.

One of Hazel's passions is rearranging furniture and updating accessories.

Thus, one morning, she, Zoe (in the mold of her grandmother,) Carl and I moved it all around.  Moving things isn't half hard when you have sturdy backs and uncarpeted floors.  We got all but the reloading of nicknacks done before I had to leave to get the kids after school.

I got home late and was very surprised to see the work table up and in position.  (Didn't I fold it up and store it in the garage???)  Carl told me it was his mom's idea to create a work space for me.

I LOVE IT!  I can store stuff.  I can work on stuff.  I can have a kid (or two) beside me as I work.  Or at least do "my thing" in the same room as they are doing "their things."  It's wonderful.  Although I have had "my stuff" with me wherever I've moved, it's been years and years since I've have a space to call "MINE."


Thanks, Mama Hazel.



No comments:

Post a Comment