Thursday, November 4, 2010

It's been better.

Rehearsals, we've had better. I'll allow that it was a "lame-duck" sort of rehearsal, our last one in the Plummer Road rehearsal space. But on top of that, we had to switch out lead actresses. The dear lady playing "Olive" had to all but bow-out; her father has end-stage cancer. It could be mere days, may God bring His peace to her & her family. Now the understudy has the role for all but maybe one performance if the first woman feels up to it. Another woman, within days of celebrating her 60th birthday, got let go from her job today-- a job she loved & just recently received an award in. The male cast members and one director were thinking more about what it's going to take to load up the set, move it to the VBC Playhouse and set it up. The other director was bell happy, ringing the "practical" doorbell & phone as often as he could, sometimes early & sometimes inappropriately. We were all trying to assemble 1980-ish costumes at the last minute, and some of the selections the producer recommended to yet another actress highly disappointed her.

Yes, obviously, the energy & sparkle weren't there. We've been at this for two months now (three if you count auditioning in August & getting our scripts then.) We might be overly familiar with Neil Simon's "The Odd Couple: Female Version," but we're not lock-tight with it either.

We move into the Playhouse this weekend, and the the real fun begins. Tech week is also called "Hell Week." We'll have the whole set up (and we're promised doors that don't fight with us... I'm going to miss that running gag.), we'll have to find our props and not trip over or break the set dressing pieces. We'll have to get used to having lighting & sound cues ironed out. There's finding our way on stage in the dark. Projection (not that we could ever be too loud.) Hair, make-up & costumes.

Ugh! I guess if I'm going to survive the next two weeks, I'd better stop blogging late at night & instead get some rest.

I love it.
Wouldn't want it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment