Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Goodness, Where Has the Month Gone?


I see that I have not posted once since my post on the first. I could claim, "I've been busy," but between us, I've just been wrung out. The Christmas holidays will do that to a body; it is a "let down" in more ways than one. All that energy, all that anticipation, and then nothing-- except maybe a cold. Being as out-of-hourglass-shape as I am, I ended up just coping day-to-day. All those carbs I loaded up on before, during & after didn't help any, either. (Well, they did help further define my lovely door-stop shape.)

Today, I pulled it together, finally. Got a whole lot of stuff cleaned up here, and cooked that broccoli I bought last week well before it went bad. (I apologize to my last two broccoli purchases, but at least I have a compost pile.) My kids love broccoli. Yea!

I like broccoli, too, and most other veggies. I've been adding sliced & sauteed spinach to my morning egg. I've been avoiding sugars & other simple carbs.

I. Just. Cannot. Eat. Quantities. Of. Simple. Carbohydrates.

There.

I'm not diabetic, amazingly, but I'm likely well on my way. I do have PCOS, which I've learned has insulin-resistance as one of its features. I do know that if I eat something all sweet or starchy, then I want more and more, then I get all lethargic. You see where I'm going with this.

No, I'm not all bacon, all the time (tempting.) Breakfast is an egg with a bit of Parmesan cheese, the spinach and a tasty spice blend; as much as I dislike store-bought tomatoes, I should add a bit as well. For lunch or dinner, I've been eating a bit too much cheese, so I'm working on reining that in (behold, the power!) Fruits are berries, kiwis, grapefruit and any apple/pear skins my daughter won't eat. Meat, of course, and green veggies. Since I do need carbohydrates, I like a small side of quinoa, or maybe another whole-berry grain. See? very reasonable, and I feel more energetic. I've been on it about a week now, but I'm only today feeling like it. That cold, you know. (We won't bring up the pink-icing birthday cake that my sister-in-law got to celebrate her & my daughter's adjacent birthdays. I will say here; I like the way red icing tastes. DLG wants a "purple castle cake" for this weekend. That's good. Purple tastes the worst.)

It's not a challenge to make a meal that we all can eat. My husband needs a low-fat diet to help keep his cholesterol and blood pressure down; he also notices his blood sugar spikes more from dense carbs like bread or beans than from sugars. The kids either eat anything or are picky; they're kids. But we all get a well balanced plate without it looking like anyone has off-limit foods. I've even been able to juggle the load of left-overs that came back (as usual) from Ft. Payne. For once the kids get a la carte.

The challenge is to keep from snacking. And bread. My, my, I do like bakery bread. (There has to be a work around for that.)

Here's to knowing better and doing better this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment