Sunday, January 6, 2019

We Have Seen


Today, January 6, is the Feast of the Epiphany.  This year the actual feast day fell on a Sunday, which was very convenient for us Americans.

We celebrate the revealing of the Christ to the world when wisemen from the east came in search of the new king whose star they saw rise.

More amazing than their trek is their acceptance that the king was a suckling child of humble birth.

We rarely accept things as they appear to us.  We look for the "angle," for the falsehoods, for the traps.  We expect more and are disappointed when that's all there is.

My kids-- God bless them, because He blessed me with them-- find delight in the here and now.  They have learned to be dazzled by the wonders of everyday:  a spider, a book, lunch.

I brought them Three King's Day gifts.



Nothing big.  Just stuff I found post-holiday clearance.  My son was excited to see his tin held holiday magnets; he barely saw the chocolate coins (a kid fave) below those.  My daughter didn't even open her tin; she was all about her emoji-poo squishy.  And both of them were amazed at the size of the gumballs.  My 14yo & (almost) 10yo were excited about $5 of stuff.  They accepted and rejoiced.

I pray that the Lord keeps them full of gratitude and wonder.  I pray the Lord reminds me always to be thankful and joyful.

No comments:

Post a Comment