I was pretty proud of myself the other day, and just had to take a picture of my just-made salsa. I like fresh salsa in the summertime, and so do my kids. Chips optional.
After posting, a few friends wanted to know my recipe for salsa. Sure! It's easy!
Chop up stuff you like, stir & enjoy!
Really, it's not much more complicated than that.
Specifically, for that bowl, it's
Peach Salsa
2 large peaches, 2 large tomatoes, 1 red bell pepper,
1/4 large red onion, 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
Hand dice everything (I go for about 1/4 in dice.)
Season with salt to taste, and I added some garlic-pepper blend.
Done.
Really, salsa is whatever you want it to be.
* I like my salsa chunky, not saucy, so I hand chop my stuff (yes, it does take time,) but you could use a food processor or blender.
* The kids picked the onion & the pepper to go with a "red" theme. I'm making a bowl for a family fish-fry this weekend, but I'll use a mango instead of the peaches and a green pepper instead of the red.
* The green you see above is from some not-so-ripe tomato tops. Green tomatoes work well in salsa, as do yellow or other heirlooms.
* I like "sweet" salsa, and use either mango or peaches, esp. since the ones in the grocery store tend to be more firm for cooking than eating. Starfruit' pineapple or a firm plum would be good, too.
* I don't mind a mild heat, but the kids do, so there's no hot stuff here. If you like bite, use more onion or a stronger onion, fresh garlic, the hot pepper of your choice (fresh or dried flakes) or pepper sauce.
* Don't like cilantro (gasp!) so use parsley if you don't want to go without an herb. Or use basil (turnabout being fair play & all-- have you tried a cilantro pesto? Very yum.)
* I'm going to bring squash, zucchini & cucumber slices to dip in it. I've also diced those up to BE in it before.
Have I sparked your creativity? Good! I hope this helps you have a tasty summer.
(FYI, this is not a Texasware bowl. It's some other USA-made melamine bowl my mom passed on to me when she got her hands on a real Texasware bowl. This is one of my mom's cast-off that I actually use and adore. Yes, I have THAT kind of family.)

No comments:
Post a Comment