Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I'm gonna press 2

I KNOW that considering what I have to work with, I'm doing pretty well. I KNOW that we are relatively blessed. I KNOW that things can always be worse. I get it. I'm actually good at finding the silver-lining, and even being sincere, if not earnest about it (although being snarky & sarcastic about it can be amusing.) Yes, I get it.

But sometimes I just want to complain, you know?

It gets really tiring trying to keep everyone else's spirits up. To keep making lemonade. To put others' feelings first. What about me? Why do I have to feel like I have to suck it up & hold back what I feel sometimes? Is it because politeness counts? Is it because I'm a woman? A mother? The dutiful daughter? The rah-rah friend? The supportive wife? That other people just don't want to deal with it?

I know what advantages I had in my life before, and I'm impatient for them to return. Yes, I'm a bit envious, jealous, of other's good circumstances, even though I know that other's have their "long, dark tea-times of the soul" or at least mounding piles of housework & despair, and they hide it away as well.

Couldn't we have some toll-free hot line somewhere that we can call to complain? And to do so in a comfortable way, with the results & feedback that we crave?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>

1-8700-GRIPE ME

"Hey. Thanks from calling the "Gripe Me Hotline," serving all of your disgruntled needs. Please listen careful for the menu options have changed.

To just kvetch & get it off your chest, while just knowing you're being heard, press 1.

To rant & rave and have someone sympathize that yes, it is all just as bad as it seems, press 2.

To moan & despair over your woes and have a kindly soul remind you that you're strong & it will be better, press 3.

To worry & fret, so you may be forgiven and offered guided suggestions, press 4.

For general stress that's caused by suppressing the natural violent urge to choke some idiot that needs it, and all other aggravations, please press the star key as hard and as often as you can to activate an assortment of sound effects designed to annihilate the treacly hold music.

Thanks for calling "Gripe Me Hotline." Have a better day, and if not, call back. We'll be here."

1 comment: